No Phone Listed
About COVID-19 Announcement
As many of you may know, the University of Iowa has decided to move to virtual instruction for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester as a precautionary measure for the recent COVID-19 developments. While this transition to online classes can potentially bring about challenges for both students and instructors, it is important to be patient and utilize the same resources you typically would for in-person courses!
That said, it is also important to check in with each help lab or resource center you would typically utilize to determine their hours and any changes to the support they offer. We will also be keeping the Tutor Iowa website as up to date as possible to ensure you are able to find information on these resources and the adjustments being made during the virtual instruction period.
Additionally, the University of Iowa has created a designated website for all updates and pertinent information relevant to COVID-19 developments for everyone to stay informed. The University of Iowa Coronavirus website can be found here: https://coronavirus.uiowa.edu/
As another means of helping you navigate this transition, we have created a “Top 10 Tips for Navigating the Online Transition” for you to utilize and reference before classes start back up. The PDF for this resource can be found here.
Whether you have taken online classes or not, this transition is likely to require a unique approach from traditional in-person course formats. If you are finding it challenging to navigate how to connect with your professors during this time, check out our “Talking to Faculty Guide.” If you have any questions or are in need of further support in this transition please email email@example.com and we will help however possible.
Tutor Iowa Help Lab Updates:
- Academic Resource Center/Supplemental Instruction: The Academic Resource Center (ARC) will be closed while classes are virtual (starting Saturday, March 14th). We will continue to offer Supplemental Instruction sessions using Zoom – an online platform for video & audio conferencing. Online SI will begin on Monday, March 30th and the SI session schedule will remain the same. It can be accessed on the ARC website: https://uc.uiowa.edu/student-success/academic-resource-center-arc/si-schedule. Students enrolled in SI-supported courses will be receiving additional information via email, including details on how to access their virtual SI sessions prior to the 30th. If you are experiencing any issues around accessibility of virtual SI sessions, please contact the ARC team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Engineering Tutoring: Engineering Tutoring will not be held in 3612 SC while classes are virtual. Engineering Tutoring will continue to be offered Sunday-Thursday, 6-9 PM using Zoom starting Monday, March 30. Students enrolled in Engineering Tutoring supported courses will be receiving additional information via email, including details on how to access Engineering Tutoring. This information will also be posted on the Engineering Tutoring website by 5 PM on Friday, March 27. See the Engineering Tutoring site for a list of updated important dates.
- Frank Business Communications Center: Beginning March 23, the Frank Center will hold all appointments online until further notice. Please see [tippie.mywconline.com] for more information.
- Mathematics Tutorial Laboratory: The Math Lab will be moving to online sessions via Zoom following Spring break. For more information as it becomes available, please visit: https://math.uiowa.edu/math-tutorial-lab
- N.E.S.T.: The College of Nursing Supplemental Instruction & Tutoring Program will hold Zoom sessions per the schedule on their website. Nursing and nursing interest students wishing to receive SI and/or tutoring help through the College of Nursing MUST create their own free Zoom account. (1) REVISED-NURSING-SI-NEST-ZOOM-Schedule-3-18-20vsg.pptx (2) REVISED-NURSING-SI-NEST-ZOOM-Schedule-3-30-20vsg-2.pdf
- Physics Help Center: The Physics help center serves introductory physics courses 1000-2000 level. There should be hours for your course on the current schedule linked below- the hours should be effective immediately. Students can obtain the Zoom link from their ICON site for Physics courses listed on the schedule: Physics-Help-Center-COVID-FINAL-April-2020.pdf
- Success in Rhetoric (SIR): Success in Rhetoric has moved to an online feedback system. If you are a student enrolled in RHET: 1030, 1040, or 1060, you have received an invitation for an ongoing ICON site titled: “Success in Rhetoric Major Assignment Help.” Accept the invitation, and upload your work using the steps detailed on the Success in Rhetoric page on Tutor Iowa.
Campus Office Updates:
- Academic Advising Center: The Academic Advising Center is changing hours to 8:00 AM-4:30 PM Monday-Friday. Students can make appointments through MyUI as normal. All appointments are conducted via phone calls, and advisors will be initiating appointments by phone. Students are also encouraged to email advisors with questions.
- Center for Diversity and Enrichment (CDE): All CDE services will occur remotely and all CDE staff will be working from home starting Wednesday, March 18. As such, the physical CDE suite in UCC 2750 will be closed until further notice to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Coaching meetings and other student support sessions will occur via Skype, Zoom, or phone and academic tutoring services will occur virtually. CDE related classes have switched to online formats. CDE-related events have been cancelled, but we are waiting to hear specific guidance regarding the CDE Graduation in May and are beginning to consider alternate methods of celebrating and recognizing this year’s graduates in preparation for cancellation.
- CLAS Academic Programs and Student Development: Staff in Academic Programs and Student Development are available to assist students. The APSD office in 120 Schaeffer Hall is closed, but students may email email@example.com anytime. Staff may be reached by phone at 319-335-2633 during temporary virtual office hours, 8:30 AM-12:00 PM and 1:00-4:30 PM weekdays. Online forms for filing Second Grade Only Options and Restarts will operate normally, and students can request to change their major or to add or drop a CLAS major by email. Staff may be working from home at times and may not be available as would be expected, but will respond to email inquiries.
- College of Nursing: The College of Nursing will alter hours through April 3rd to 8:00 AM-4:30 PM Monday-Friday. Appointments can be made as normal through MyUI, but will be conducted virtually via Zoom or phone. Current students should email their advisor in place of drop-in hours and prospective students should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dean of Students: Starting Wednesday, March 18, DOS staff will be working remotely and DOS offices will be closed. There will not be in-person meetings or scheduled events until permitted by the university. With this in mind, the services provided by the DOS office will not change in substance, but may change in delivery. DOS staff will be continuing to answer calls and respond to emails as well as work on supporting students and campus partners through remote meeting options. The DOS office is pleased to continue to support students, staff, and faculty through phone, Skype, or Zoom meetings. Please call the main office phone number 319-335-1162 or email the departmental email address at email@example.com to access our services. Please understand that due to this shift in the way services are being delivered, there may be some delays in response.
- Iowa Memorial Union: The Iowa Memorial Union will close at 5:00 PM on Wednesday, March 18th and will re-open at an undetermined date.
- UI Libraries: The libraries will close at 5:00 PM on Wednesday, March 18th and will re-open at an undetermined date.
- Office of Student Financial Aid: Students should contact the office via phone and email, rather than in-person, through April 3rd. The office will still be staffed, though, and we will serve students who happen to drop in. Office hours continue to be 8:00-4:30 but drop-in hours are discontinued through April 3rd.
- Orientation Services and Academic Support & Retention: The 310 Calvin Suite for University College (Orientation Services and Academic Support and Retention offices) will also be closed. Someone will be answering the main office phone (5-1497) remotely from 8 am – noon and responding to voicemails until 4:30 pm. All staff will be working remotely.
- Pomerantz Career Center: Services have moved to virtual services as long as UI is operating virtually for classroom instruction. An announcement and FAQ have been set up on our web site with more details and we will be posting regular updates on social media as well. For career advising/drop-ins, students may still schedule advising appointments via MyUI. These will be conducted via zoom, or phone as needed. For online resume reviews and peer advising questions, In person drop-ins have been suspended, but resumes can be uploaded and will receive timely feedback. Peer Advisors will be responding to questions that come in to firstname.lastname@example.org as well. For interviews and mock interviews, all remaining in-person schedules have been converted to virtual including Mock Interviews. Postings are still coming in daily and will be posted to Handshake-please continue job and or internship search as there is over 14,000 active postings currently. For online programming we will be adding some online programming over the next few weeks and do have a Virtual Fair for all majors scheduled for April 15th! There will also be a new page created for working/job searching remotely (https://careers.uiowa.edu/remote). The PCC will also be offering a new social media short weekly video series for students called #Couch2Career or #C2C.More information will be coming soon and can be found on the PCC website linked above.
- Student Disability Services: All office functions are being handled remotely. Phone calls and emails are being responded to daily. SDS is still reviewing requests for academic accommodations for the remainder of this semester and for students entering in the fall. Current SDS students are able to connect with their Accommodation Coordinators through email. Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services and Exam Services are also being handled remotely. We are working closely with faculty to meet the challenges of accommodating students in an online environment.
- Student Health: Student Health will remain open at the Westlawn location- with equipment and staff being drected from the IMU to the main clinic for support- the IMU nurse location will be closed indefinitely. While Student Health works on moving to virtual appointments, students must call the Nurseline (319-335-9704) to get guidance regarding symptoms and next steps before going to the physical location. On weekends and after hours, please call the UIHC hotline number listed on the UI coronavirus website for help. Please visit the UI coronavirus website and Student Health website for additional information and updates.
- UPO, Tippie College of Business: Tippie UPO will be changing hours to 8:00 AM-4:30 PM Monday-Friday. Students will be advised virtually via phone or Zoom and may make appointments through MyUI as normal. In place of drop-in hours, students assigned to Tippie advisors must email their advisor with any short questions they have. Planning for registration should be addressed via virtual appointment from MyUI. Students who are not assigned to a Tippie advisor who have questions about admission to Tippie, questions about access to courses pending admission, or the business minor may complete a short web-based form- an advisor will reply to the form when available during business hours. Non-majors who are required to take Tippie courses (Actuarial Science, Computer Science, Math C, etc.) should continue to use the form that has been in place.
- University Counseling Services: University counseling services will be providing services virtually at this time. Please visit the UCS website here for more information.
- Women's Resource Action Center: Effective Wednesday, March 18, our staff will be working remotely, and our building closed. No in-person meetings, events, or activities will be held, and no evening or weekend activities will take place on site. We are working to develop alternative ways to host events and foster community; stay tuned to our email messages, social media, and website as plans take shape! You can also find us at https://www.facebook.com/WRACuiowa,