Center for Language and Culture Learning (CLCL)Availability: See below
About Center for Language and Culture Learning (CLCL)
Located in Phillips Hall, the newly remodeled Center of Language and Culture Learning primarily serves the Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (DWLLC). The Center contains facilities for video production and editing, spaces for small group and collaborative work, an ITC lab with twenty-four computers, and a large lounge for studying, workshops, conversation hours, and tutoring sessions.
The Center administers several programs within the DWLLC, including peer tutoring in the following languages:
- American Sign Language, tutoring with Evita
- Mondays, 9:30 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays, 11:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/asl
- American Sign Language, tutoring with Camryn
- Wednesdays, 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- Fridays, 12:30-2:30 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/asl2
- Arabic tutoring with Paisley
- Mondays, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 6:30–8:30 p.m.
- Fridays, 2:30-4:30 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/arabic
- Japanese tutoring with Aya
- Mondays, 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 9:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/japanese
- Korean tutoring with Hae-Joo
- Mondays, 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays, 1:00 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/korean
- Portuguese tutoring with Hianca
- Tuesdays, 9:30–10:30 a.m.
- Thursdays, 2:00–3:00 p.m.
- Fridays, 1:30–2:30 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/portuguese
- Russian tutoring with Evan
- Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:00–5:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:30–1:30 p.m.
- Fridays, 4:00–6:00 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/russian
- Swahili tutoring with Virginia
- Tuesdays, 2:15-3:15 p.m. & 5:00-6:00 p.m.
- Thursdays, 3:00-6:00 p.m.
- Sign-in: https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/swipe2/site/lmct/signin/virtual/swahili
The Center also supports the Spanish Speaking and Writing Center, where students can get assistance with their writing and oral presentation skills. For more information and to schedule an appointment, please visit their website.
The Center for Language and Culture Learning also runs the Directed Independent Language Study (DiLS) program, where those interested in learning a language not taught in the Division can find resources and, if possible, be matched with a native-speaking tutor or conversation partner. Please visit their website or email Claireemail@example.com for more information.
For additional information regarding support services within the Division of World Languages, Literatures, and Cultures (DWLLC), check out the DWLLC Tutor Iowa page!
American Sign Language ASL Asian Slavic French Italian German Spanish Portuguese Arabic Chinese Hindi Japanese Korean Russian Sanskrit Swahili Language Media Center Linguistics Division of World Languages Literatures and Cultures DWLLC Language