Writing CenterAvailability: By Appointment (see below)
View full schedule →
Visit website →
About Writing Center
Services are FREE, FULLY ONLINE and available to all students, faculty, and staff.
- Sign up for a standing weekly video conference meeting for the entire semester. This is our most popular program, so register today!
- Make a 30-minute video conference appointment using our online schedule. Don't wait until the last minute! Bring us your assignments and ideas and we'll help make sure you get off to a good start!
- Writing in Spanish? The Spanish Writing and Reading Center offers video conference appointments on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Submit your work to our document review system and get written comments and suggestions.
- Check out our creative writing group! Every Friday from 2-4 pm
For more information, check out our website at writingcenter.uiowa.edu
What to Expect:
If you have a video conference appointment you’ll meet with one of our staff using our online scheduling software. Just log back into the schedule, open your appointment and click on the START OR JOIN ONLINE CONSULTATION. You’ll be able to see and talk to our staff and upload your paper to a shared whiteboard. Make sure to close Zoom and any other program that uses your camera to make it available to our system. Your tutor will ask you about your assignment, your goals for the piece and the concerns you'd like addressed.
How to Prepare:
Make sure to have a copy of your assignment and any other materials that you think will be helpful available during your appointment. It also helps to read back through your work carefully before your appointment so you know what questions to ask and where you would like to focus. For other useful information, check out our answers to the most frequently asked questions.