Hours/Availability: By appointment - Click here to schedule an appointment
Location: Virtual Spring 2022
Phone: (319) 335-2584
About the History Teaching & Writing Center
The Department of History Teaching and Writing Center was founded in 1997 to help undergraduate students improve their history writing skills. Staffed by several graduate student advisors every semester, the History Writing Center is available to any student in a history course needing assistance with a writing assignment.
Spring 2022 Zoom Hours:
The History Writing Center will be open five days a week for Zoom appointments.
Monday — 8:30am - 7:00 pm
Tuesday — 8:30am - 12:30pm & 1:00pm - 7:00pm
Wednesday — 8:30am - 6:30pm
Thursday — 8:30am - 3:00pm & 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Friday — 10:00am - 12:00pm & 12:30pm - 3:30pm
Consultations for both types of appointments can be made online on Microsoft Bookings at https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/HistoryWritingCenter@iowa.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/
To access your appointment, use the following Zoom information:
- Zoom link: https://uiowa.zoom.us/j/96897784399?pwd=YlZSN2pEMFlVMUFGVkVSYTV0aWVqUT09
- Meeting ID: 968 9778 4399
- Passcode: 2022
What to Expect
- Help you to brainstorm ideas for papers and presentations.
- Help you to polish the rough ideas you already have.
- Help you to organize outlines and papers.
- Help you refine a draft.
- Help you create a strong historical argument.
- Help to demystify the ways that historians talk about history.
- Help you turn in the best paper you possibly can.
How to Prepare
To give you the best help we can, we ask that you provide the following:
- A copy of your assignment sheet.
- Any brainstorm diagrams, rough work, or writing you have completed for the project.